Thursday 11 June 2009

10/6/09

Kim came over around 2ish as she was coming back from her flight. We crashed pretty quick.

I got up at 8 and went down to get Godot tickets again, and after waiting for 40 minutes they only had gallery seats, but it was the front row, so I took them.

I went down to Parliament to try to watch Prime Minister's Questions. I was told by the people at the gate that my chances were extremely slim, especially with all the drama going on lately (there's been much talk about Gordon Brown resigning, half his cabinet quit and the Labor party did awful in the European elections). I waited for an hour and a half and didn't get in to PMQ (although a few seats opened up but they gave them to the other side that was waiting, even though I think I was waiting longer, not sure how that happened).

But around 12:30 Brown was going to give an address and a bunch of seats opened for that. It was rather interesting, his speech was rushed (about writing an English constitution and bill of rights, which apparently they don't have). It wasn't a nice USA kind of speech where everyone sits quietly, the opposition would laugh and rumble (at one point Brown made a mistake and talked about the problems in our party instead of our parties, and the opposition let him have it). His speech was answered (and pretty much ripped) by the leader of the opposition (David Cameron I think?). Then members of parliament would stand up and speak, asking all sorts of questions to Brown, and he would get up and answer. Absolutely fascinating and a much more accessible way of doing things. They were critical of the American constitution and election process a few times, in particular that the elections have become an advertising contest. Really interesting stuff.

I went down to the theater for the matinee and met up with Heidi. Our seats were alright, rather high up, but right in the front center of the gallery. I got a coffee since I was pretty tired, and I noticed that there was a program lying around, so I grabbed it (they usually cost £4, I'm bad).

The show was pretty great. Sir Ian McKellan and Patrick Stewart were on stage for the whole 160 minutes and both were just incredible. I'd forgot much of Godot since I read it in high school, but it was just great. I would have paid to watch Sir Ian and Patrick interact for two hours, let alone doing one of my favorite plays. Well worth it.

Afterwards I took my program outside and waited for the actors to leave. Patrick Stewart came out quick, and signed mine. He was wearing a baseball cap and after he signed autographs, he just walked down the street toward Trafalgar Square. I don't think I would have recognized him, espeically with his beard.

We then went to take the Jubilee line to Canary Warf. We waited in line to top-up forever because tourists were trying to load a bus card in the Oyster card part. Then we missed the first two trains because there was no room to get on them, so about another half hour went by. Nine of 11 routes were running because Tube workers decided they were against the strike and went in anyways (awesome). We got to Canary Warf and transferred to the DLR, which was much less crowded.

We finally got to Greenwich and made our way over to the Trafalgar Tavern on the river. The interior was sort of the perfect British place to eat. It was old and wood, with fireplaces and fancy old chairs. The best part were the huge windows overlooking the Thames. This was another famous Dickens hangout as well.

I had a Ploughman (which I'd never had and is sort of strange, thee slices of bread, some cheese, different toppings and such. I didn't really know how to eat it, but it was great) and we also had some really good chips. It was a great meal, probably because it was probably the most picturesque British place imaginable.

We walked around the town (a block) and came back to catch Godot letting out again. Sir Ian came out first and I got him to sign my book with Patrick Stewart. Pretty awesome. Patrick came out again and I got him to sign a different page for fun. The other two actors came out, but I didn't really know who they were (although Simon Callow is supposed to be a big deal) and Heidi got them all on her ticket. We left rather pleased.


We looked around for a good place for dessert, walking though Soho and finally coming back by Leciester Square where we stopped in a cafe and got chocolate cake with whipped cream. The whipped cream really made it. I was super tired, barely able to stay awake at the cafe, so I got back and got some good sleep for the first time in a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment