Saturday 23 May 2009

23/5/09 Florence

We were woke up for breakfast at 9, which was alright, bread, cereal, yogurt, juice, it was fine but nothing that special.

Mary wanted to study MCAT stuff so we found a cafe that had gelato and sat down to get some. I had pistachio, chocolate chip, and tiramasu. It was alright, we got special cones with the end dipped in chocolate, but nothing that amazing.

While Mary stayed to study I went to St. Croche, a church from the 1300s with the tombs of Galileo, Macciavelli, and Michelangelo, and some works from Donatello. It was another one of those churches that is too bright on the inside to make me think it's that old. They did have some cool old frescoes from the 1300s, but it wasn't all that impressive.

I went back to check on Mary and then went to the Pitti Palazzio, where the Medici's used to live and is now a huge art gallery. I'm really interested in the Medicis, so I was sorta excited to go, although another art gallery/palace wasn't all that interesting to me. When it was 12 Euros it was definitely not that interesting. I walked around a little and took some photos before walking to San Lorenzo.

San Lorenzo is the Medici's Chapel, yet another bright boring interior (plus I had to sneak pictures). They had Dontello's last works and a room from Michelangelo, who designed a bunch of it, although that was closed of course. I was excited to go into the Prince's tombs area but that was a separate admission, and a 9 Euro one at that. So I passed.

I went to get Mary and we went to eat at a place her friend suggested in Piazza de Signora, but all the replica statues (I could write a book on how much I hate fake Europe). There was a big event going on in the square, with people dressed in funny old costumes throwing flags in the air while bands played. I figured this was sort of their equivalent to marching bands.

I had the chef's macaroni, which didn't have any cheese and was basically pasta with mushrooms, but really good. We ordered an assortment of cheeses because Mary really wanted cheese in Italy. It was really good. I had some of Mary's ribolina, a potatoy soup with vegetables.

From there we went to the other side of town and wandered around the real neighborhoods, stopping in a shoe store for Mary to look at knock-off Birkenstocks, but they didn't have the tan color.

We went into a park and wandered, stopping on a stump to read for a while before going to town and getting some awesome gelato (green apple, peanut and chocolate, cookie, and chocolate chip) and ate it in front of the palace. We then went to the old bridge and watching the sun set and listening to a singer who is pretty great. We walked back to the hostel and snuck into the kitchen area for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment